Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Few Words About Art At Home

    Due to financial strain, many schools across the United States have cut their art programs. I find this news devastating! Art was my favorite class in both elementary and high school, as well as in college. The art classes I took throughout my life served many purposes. Not only did I learn about art history and the various techniques and processes for making art, but they helped me gain confidence. I gained confidence in both my work and in my relationships. Art class was the only class where I felt like I was surrounded by people who understood me, people who had similar interests and passions. I felt like I fit in and like I was accomplishing something great. When I think about today’s children not being able to experience that, it breaks my heart!

   That’s why I think it is so important that you give your children the opportunity to make art at home. I think every home should be well stocked with art supplies. Children should always have access to paint brushes, paint, paper, markers, crayons, glue, scissors, pipe cleaners, pom-poms, feathers, glitter glue, everything you could need or want to be creative (under adult supervision, of coarse).


    Some good places to find supplies in this area are Guild Art Supply (on Main Street in downtown Northampton), A2Z Science & Learning Store (also in Northampton), as well as larger chains such as Michaels, Target, Wal-Mart, and Dollar Tree. For my art supplies at home, I like to buy and label plastic shoe boxes to store and organize everything. It makes the supplies really easy to find for both me and my child.


    Having your own art supplies at home not only gives your little ones the opportunity to create art, but it also gives you a chance to bond, interact, and spend quality time with your children. I LOVE getting out the art supplies on a rainy Sunday afternoon when I’m looking for something to do with my son at home! I have a lot of fond memories of crafting with my own mom and I hope that my son will also fondly look back on the time we’ve spent together creating things. I also hope our time together will help to build his confidence in his work and accomplishments.

   So go home and create something with your family! You’ll never regret spending time with your children!    

No comments:

Post a Comment