Friday, April 27, 2012

Traverse City Salad


A little taste of Northern Michigan…

My family used to vacation in Traverse City, Michigan every summer when I was growing up. I have many fond memories of hanging out on the beaches with my siblings, swimming, jet skiing, shopping downtown, and (my personal favorite) eating out! There’s one particular dish, a salad, my parents used to order at one of the restaurants that always brings back those happy memories every time I recreate it at home.

Behold the Traverse City Salad! The ingredients consist of:

A Mix of Romaine & Iceberg Lettuce
Grated Asiago Cheese
Pecan Pieces
Dried Cherries
A Grilled Chicken Breast
Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing

That’s it! Simple, right? Over the years, I’ve made a few changes to it. I prefer to use only Romaine lettuce (I rarely eat Iceberg) and Blue Cheese instead of the Asiago. Both versions are delightful! After some research, I discovered that there several other variations of the salad.

Another version from http://www.tcfirefly.com/soup.html:

Lettuce (doesn’t specify what kind)
Dried Cherries
Ginger-Candied Walnuts
Goat Cheese
Red Onion
Cherry Vinaigrette Dressing


2 Cups of Greens (mixed)
1 Slice Red Onion (chopped or separated into rings or to taste)
3 Tablespoons Cherries (dried, taste)
3 Tablespoons Walnuts (pecans, roughly chopped)
6 Grape Tomatoes (1 small tomato quartered)
2 Tablespoons Blue Cheese (crumbled or to taste)
4 Ounces Turkey (optional or chicken cut into strips optional)
Raspberry Vinaigrette

The list of variations could go on, but you get the idea. No matter which one you make, I hope you’ll enjoy the salad as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment