Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Mystic Aquarium

   We recently visited Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, Connecticut. I was pretty excited because I had heard really good things about it. Hopefully I won't be crucified by the locals, but here is my somewhat harsh critique of the visit. 

   Overall the trip was fun, but I was a little disappointed. For starters, I thought there would be more indoor exhibits! When I think of an aquarium, I think of huge, indoor tanks that are lit up in dark rooms with fish swimming over your head. I was surprised that many of the animals were outside. I had a chance to go to a really nice aquarium when I was in school (can't remember if it was in Chicago or Washington DC) and this was nothing like that. Also regarding the outdoor areas, I thought that the way the exhibits were set up made it difficult to actually see the animals. I felt like I had to stand on my toes and hold my son way up in the air just to spot a penguin! 

   We did thoroughly enjoy the SpongeBob SquarePants show in the 4D theatre though. It reminded me of the Muppets Theatre in MGM Studios at Disney World (only much shorter of a show). Unfortunately, during the middle of the Sea Lion Show someone pulled the fire alarm and the theatre had to be cleared out, so we didn't get to see the whole thing. We were bummed!

   I still recommend checking out the aquarium if you've never been to it, but it's not the best display of animals I've personally ever seen. In Michigan, we had the Detroit Zoo and was pretty phenomenal. We couldn't help but compare the two. Here are a few shots from the trip. Unfortunately, they're not that great but we couldn't see a lot of the animals! I still wanted to share though.










 
 
   To plan your trip to Mysitc Aquarium, visit http://www.mysticaquarium.org/. 
   

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear the trip was a bust. I guess not all of them can be winners. Great pictures though!

    ReplyDelete