Thursday, May 3, 2012

Favorite Mixes (or “Playlists”, but I refuse to call them that!)



   I was working out the other day and listening to some of my favorite mixes on my iPod and thought that I should share them on the blog (I also wrote about them once before on Facebook. Music is a favorite subject of mine!). I LOVE discovering new music, so I thought it was a good opportunity to put some songs out there that people might not be familiar with or may have forgotten about over the years. Apparently, I title my mixes on one of three things: 1) the person’s name who gave me the mix 2) the time period when I made the mix or 3) the name of where I worked at the time the mix was made. I’m not sure why, I guess it’s the only way for me to organize them in my head.

Anyhow, without further ado, the mixes (in no particular order)…

1. Chicks-Russ’s Mix: This is a mix that a friend and former coworker of mine created for me in college. He was an excellent piano player and I sang, so we used to kill time in between classes by going into one of the music rooms at the university and jamming. At the time, I mostly listened to male singer/songwriters and I didn’t have any female singers in my song repertoire. In an effort to make me become more familiar with some female artists, he made me a mix of what he considered to be “chick songs.” After all of these years, I still love this mix! I think the music is excellent (although I must admit, I usually skip #3 and #9) and it reminds me of fun early college memories.

1. Can’t Be Sure-The Sundays
2. Carmella-Beth Orton
3. Mother Heroic-Bjork
4. Hideous Towns-The Sundays
5. Half Acre-Hem
6. Never Do That Again-Ivy
7. Nothing Sweet-The Sundays
8. Stay-Lisa Loeb
9. Smoke-Natalie Imbruglia
10. She-The Sundays
11. Spinning-The Innocence Mission
12. Destiny-Zero 7

2. Husband’s Mix: This mix was in heavy rotation when I first met my husband. He had it on almost every time I got into his car. It reminds me of that first crazy summer together.

1. This Bouquet-Ani DiFranco
2. Chan Chan-Buena Vista Social Club
3. Pitseleh-Elliot Smith
4. Needle in the Hay-Elliot Smith
5. Revelator-Gillian Welch
6. Midnight Radio-from Hedwig and the Angry Inch
7. Could You Be the One-Husker Du
8. Ce Charmant Coeur-Julie Doiron
9. Failure-Kings of Convenience
10. Bonnie and Clyde-Serge Gainsbourg duet with Brigitte Bardot
11. Lost in Space-Luna
12. Blown a Wish-My Bloody Valentine
13. Hey Oh! Let’s Go!-The Ramones
14. Cold Blooded Old Times-Smog
15. Entire-The Spinanes
16. Brakhage-Stereolab
17. I’ll Be Your Mirror-Velvet Underground
18. Island in the Sun-Weezer
19. Say It Ain’t So-Weezer
20. Speeding Motorcycle-Daniel Johnston

3. June 2003 Mix: More fun college times that involved a lot of “Reservoir Dogs” and John Cusack marathons.

1. Wrong Way-Sublime
2. Stuck in the Middle-Stealers Wheel
3. I Gotcha-Joe Tex
4. Fool in the Rain-Led Zeppelin
5. It’s Your Thing-The Isley Brothers
6. Kid Things-Counting Crows
7. You Rock My World-Michael Jackson
8. Lime in the Coconut-Harry Nilsson
9. Losing Lisa-Ben Folds
10. Last Goodbye-Jeff Buckley
11. If You Could Only See-Tonic
12. Bittersweet Symphony-The Verve
13. Come Pick Me Up-Ryan Adams
14. When the Stars Go Blue-Ryan Adams
15. When the Stars Go Blue-Ryan Adams cover by Bono and The Corrs
16. Jolene-Dolly Parton cover by Mindy Smith

4. Orlans Mix: I used to swap iPods with some of my friends at one of my jobs, so this ended up being a little bit of a mix of everything from the various iPods I borrowed. I also threw some of my old favorites.

1. My Moon My Man-Feist
2. I Feel It All-Feist
3. Sunrise-Norah Jones
4. I Miss You-Incubus
5. Shiver-Coldplay
6. Mr. Blue Sky-Electric Light Orchestra
7. Who Needs You-Queen
8. Sweet Nadine-The Arc Angels
9. Alison-Elvis Costello
10. Amber-311
11. Take a Picture-Filter
12. Everything You Want-Vertical Horizon
13. Love Song-311
14. I’m So Sick-Flyleaf

5. Winter 2011 Mix: A few recommendations from my brother.

1. Lovely and Blue-Ryan Adams & The Cardinals
2. England-The National (words can’t describe how much I LOVE this song)
3. Slippery-Vetiver
4. Brainy-The National
5. Cemetery Hill-Ryan Adams & The Cardinals
6. More of This-Vetiver
7. I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman-k-os

6. High School Mix: A compilation of various mixes from high school.

1. Kiss Me-Sixpence None the Richer
2. Ooh La La-Rod Stewart
3. In Your Eyes-Peter Gabriel
4. Angel Eyes-The Jeff Healey Band
5. Hanging By A Moment-Lifehouse
6. Mellow Yellow-Donovan
7. Magic Carpet Ride-Steppenwolf
8. D-yer Maker- Led Zeppelin
9. It Ain’t Over ‘til It’s Over-Lenny Kravitz
10. She Talks to Angels-The Black Crowes
11. You Spin Me Right Round (Like A Record)-Dead or Alive
12. Build Me Up Buttercup-The Foundations
13. Joker-Stever Miller Band
14. Classical Gas-Mason Williams

The list could be so much longer but I think that’s it for now. Hopefully you’ll discover something new that you will love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment